Morningside Presbyterian Church was established as a mission of the Atlanta Presbytery Home Mission Committee and First Presbyterian Church of Atlanta in November 1925. Click here to read or download a summary of MPC's history, set out in the context of the service of Morningside's 10 senior pastors.
The church building, begun in 1946 and completed in 1949, was designed by noted church architects Thomas and Waggoner of Philadelphia. Our steeple was added in 1955. Surrounded by beautiful neighborhoods, the church sits in the midst of a park-like setting. We seek to be good stewards of our building and joyfully use it for ministry and mission to our congregation and community.
A booklet issued while the building was under construction describes the project and gives a brief history of the church. That booklet has been reproduced as a PDF file — to view the booklet, click here. Another booklet, issued in 1964 when the building was complete (including the steeple) and paid for, updates the history and includes a section on the church and its symbols — click here to see the 1964 booklet, which includes information about the symbolic mural in Fellowship Hall.
Written by Philip Hawkins, A History of Organ Music at Morningside describes our Wickes-Coulter organ and its history.